You just purchased your first GoPro and are ready to get out there and take some sweet pictures and videos! The only problem? You have no idea how to access the files on your Mac so that you can start editing them or uploading them. Fortunately, it’s pretty easy to learn how to access gopro files on mac, so that you can start working with your GoPro right away! If you want to learn more, keep reading!
How to Access GoPro Files on Mac
The Easy Way: Use an SD Card Reader
Luckily for you, there’s an easy way to import your photos and videos from your GoPro camera. All you need is an SD card reader for your computer and these steps:
- Turn off the GoPro camera.
- Eject the SD card from the camera using the button on top of the device.
- Insert it into a computer using an SD card reader slot or a USB cable if you have one available.
- Open the Finder
- Open the folder that contains the files you want to transfer.
- Drag-and-drop them onto your computer.
Done! Your files are now safely downloaded to your hard drive!
If you don’t have an SD card reader, here are a few ways to use a USB cord with your GoPro.
The Quick Way: Use a USB Cable
A USB-C cable is required for connecting the GoPro to a Mac. The Mac’s operating system includes Image Capture, which gives you access to the GoPro. To make this happen, follow these steps:
- The USB-C cable should be plugged into the USB-C port of the GoPro and then into the USB-C port of the Mac.
- The GoPro should be turned on.
- Click Image Capture in the Applications folder or click Launchpad on the Dock, type image into the search field, and click Image Capture.
- You can access your GoPro by clicking its name in the left navigation bar.
- Click Import All and select the folder to store the imported files.
- Once the import has been completed, close Image Capture and unplug the GoPro.
To connect gopro usb:
- Tap on Connections
- And USB Connection
- Then MTP
- Click on MTP
GoPro Quik Lets You Transfer Your GoPro Media
The GoPro Quik for Desktop allows for editing and importing GoPro videos for Mac and PC for free, with only its most basic features for PC and Mac. Know that GoPro Quik for Desktop is no longer in development but you can still use the old software. For more information about GoPro Quik, go to
- The first step is to download and install the Mac version of GoPro Quik.
- Here’s the second step. Make sure your GoPro is on and hooked up to your computer with a USB cable.
- Step 3. Open GoPro Quik by going to Applications in Finder. Note that you need to create or sign up for an account in order to use the website.
- In step 4, choose the location of where to save the copy of the file by clicking Camera Import Location > Edit. First, you should click Import files highlighted in blue, so that you can import GoPro videos to Mac.
Frequently Asked Questions – How to Access GoPro Files on Mac
From GoPro to computer, how do I get the video?
Depending on what device you are using, you have several options for getting GoPro footage onto Mac. When you connect your GoPro camera or SD card to your computer, you can copy and paste videos. You can also use GoPro Quik.
Here are some ways you can upload videos from GoPro on Mac:
- To connect your microSD card to a Mac, use a card reader.
- Use the Image Capture app from Apple.
- Use the GoPro app, Quick.
- Access either the Photos or iPhoto app.
How can I connect my GoPro to a Mac?
There are two ways to use a GoPro with your Mac:
- plug the camera into the computer through a USB cable to see GoPro content directly on your Mac or
- remove the card from the GoPro and put it in the Mac through a card reader.
How do you watch GoPro video on Mac?
There are two ways to view your GoPro data on Mac without downloading your video from GoPro:
- To view your files, remove your SD card from your GoPro and connect it to your Mac via card reader. Open your SD card in Finder (in the left sidebar) and click the DCIM folder.
- With a USB cable, connect your GoPro directly to your Mac and use Image Capture, GoPro Quik, macOS iPhoto or macOS Photos to capture your footage. Without downloading or importing anything, you should be able to view your files within the app.
GoPro SD card removal: how to do it?
Here are the steps to remove the SD card from your GoPro:
- The microSD card and battery of the GoPro camera can be found by lifting up the right-side latch. You can access the latch at the bottom of your GoPro if you use Hero 7 or older. To access it, press the rectangular button, then slide the compartment door.
- Remove the battery and gently press the microSD card. You should be able to pull it out when you release your hold.
Are SD cards included with GoPros?
A GoPro camera and SD card bundle might be available at your local retailer.